Get similar jobs by email Register →
|Recruiter Name||The European Patent Office|
|Job Title||Head of English Translation and Editing Department|
|Job Type||Temporary Contract, Full-Time Position|
|Our Reference||4.4.6 (9041)|
|Salary||G7-10 (net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy: EUR 5 500 to 7 800, depending on experience)|
|Date Posted||10 months ago|
About the EPO
The European Patent Office
With almost 7 000 employees, the European Patent Office (EPO) is one of the largest public service institutions in Europe. Its headquarters are in Munich and it also has offices in Berlin, Brussels, The Hague and Vienna. The EPO was founded with the aim of strengthening co-operation on patents in Europe. Through the EPO's centralised patent granting procedure, inventors are able to obtain high-quality patent protection in up to 44 countries, covering a market of some 700 million people. The EPO is also the world's leading authority in patent information and patent searching.
In 2017, the EPO received over 165 000 patent applications and granted over 105 000 patents. Its free online patent database, Espacenet, contains more than 100 million technical documents from 100 countries, and its free neural machine translation service, Patent Translate, provides instant, high-quality translation in 32 languages, including Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Russian.
What we offer
- intellectual challenges and empowerment through professional development
- the chance to work with inspiring people from various different cultures
- an excellent social package
- contributory medical-insurance and pension schemes
- relocation benefits and various allowances (e.g. household, dependants', childcare, education, expatriation, installation and rent allowance), depending on their personal circumstances
Job group: 4
Grade: G7-10 (net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy: EUR 5 500 to 7 800, depending on experience)
Duration of appointment: five years
Career path: Managerial
Application deadline: 30.07.2018
The Language Service plays a vital part in the work of the EPO, its main functions being translation and interpreting for the three official languages (English, French and German) and, particularly in the case of its English department, the editing of documents written by non-native speakers.
The head of the English translation and editing department is responsible for managing a team of translators/editors and for performing the duties of a translator/editor.
Your main responsibilities
- Planning and supervising the work of the department (allocating in‑house and freelance work, managing deadlines and priorities, monitoring quality and quantity)
- Acting as line manager/reporting officer, managing and reviewing the performance of the individual members of the department and the overall performance of the department in line with defined individual and collective objectives and priorities
- Translating a wide variety of French and German texts into English, particularly in patent law, general law, economics, finance and IT
- Revising translations produced by in-house and freelance translators
- Editing English texts intended for publication which are not drafted by mother-tongue authors
What we expect from you
- The ability to analyse and process texts logically and accurately
- The ability to work under pressure while maintaining a high level of quality
- A clear and concise style of writing in a wide range of registers
- Knowledge and experience of using the MS‑Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and IT translation tools (e.g. SDL Studio and SDL MultiTerm)
You will have experience of people management in a translation environment and extensive experience of working as a translator/editor, preferably in an international organisation. You will also have a high level of commitment, personal initiative and readiness to drive change, along with excellent team-working, interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Diploma of completed university studies at Master's level or - in exceptional cases - equivalent professional experience.
- Excellent knowledge of one official language and the ability to understand the other two.
- In addition, due to the specific nature of this job profile in the Language Service, native-speaker level in English and thorough knowledge of the other two official languages.
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation.
The successful candidate will be selected on the basis of qualifications and experience, supplemented by translation/editing tests, interviews and a personality questionnaire.
It is intended to hold written tests in week 34/35 and interviews in week 37, in Munich.
*After deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes.
To foster gender diversity, EPO encourages applications from female candidates.
The EPO is an equal opportunities employer and supports workforce diversity as a signatory to the Diversity Charter (Charta der Vielfalt) since 2010.
All applications for vacant positions will be welcomed and considered on the professional merits of the applicant against the role profile for the position regardless of nationality, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion or belief.
Ref: 4.4.6 (9041)
Sorry, this job post it's no longer available
- Translation Specialist (German)
€35000 - 40000
The Company. Our client is a multinational company providing outsourcing, information technology and business consulting services. Company stands out strongly with its...3 months ago
- Swedish Content Writer to Malta
Job Purpose The individual needs to be an enthusiastic professional looking to join our awesome international team in sunny Malta.The ideal candidate will manage quali...about 1 month ago
- Forwarding Specialist
€30000 - 35000
We're now seeking team members for a new road transport logistics branch office in Brno. Our client is an award winning, expanding Central European logistics company. ...over 1 year ago
- German Social Media Support Specialist To Belfast, Northern Ireland
€City centre location, Onsite gym and canteen + Excellent relocation package.
We are looking for a German Social Media Support Specialist to join the team in Belfast! Our client focus on customer engagement and improving business outcomes for ov...7 days ago
- Access Management Analyst
€22000 - 23000
The Company. For one of our clients, an international Shared Service Center based in Barcelona, we are currently recruiting for an Access Management Analyst with a flu...21 days ago