Get similar jobs by email Register →
|Recruiter Name||The European Patent Office|
|Job Title||Translator in the French Department|
|Our Reference||Dir. 4.4.6 (9023)|
|Salary||G7 - G10 (net (basic) monthly salary*: EUR 5 500 to 7 800, depending on experience)|
|Date Posted||10 months ago|
About the EPO
The European Patent Office
With almost 7 000 employees, the European Patent Office (EPO) is one of the largest public service institutions in Europe. Its headquarters are in Munich and it also has offices in Berlin, Brussels, The Hague and Vienna. The EPO was founded with the aim of strengthening co-operation on patents in Europe. Through the EPO's centralised patent granting procedure, inventors are able to obtain high-quality patent protection in up to 44 countries, covering a market of some 700 million people. The EPO is also the world's leading authority in patent information and patent searching.
In 2017, the EPO received over 165 000 patent applications and granted over 105 000 patents. Its free online patent database, Espacenet, contains more than 100 million technical documents from 100 countries, and its free neural machine translation service, Patent Translate, provides instant, high-quality translation in 32 languages, including Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Russian.
What we offer
- intellectual challenges and empowerment through professional development
- the chance to work with inspiring people from various different cultures
- an excellent social package
- contributory medical-insurance and pension schemes
- relocation benefits and various allowances (e.g. household, dependants', childcare, education, expatriation, installation and rent allowance), depending on their personal circumstances
Job group: 4
Grade: G7 - G10 (net (basic) monthly salary*: EUR 5 500 to 7 800, depending on experience)
Duration of appointment : Five years
Career path: Technical
Application deadline: 03.09.2018
The Language and Document Services directorate plays a vital part in the work of the Office. Its main function is to provide translation and interpreting for the three official languages, but it also carries out other tasks, such as maintaining a sophisticated terminology database and editing texts by non-native speakers, all of which are essential to any modern organisation that values quality and consistency in communication.
The Language Service's French translation department is looking for a translator to join its team.
Your main responsibilities
- Translating a wide variety of English and German texts into French, particularly in the fields of patent law, employment law, economics and finance, which are generally intended for publication.
- Proofreading texts for publication
- Vetting the language of legally binding texts in collaboration with other translators, lawyers and authors
- Helping to build up the trilingual terminology database
Your translations will be revised with a view to monitoring your progress and the quality of your translations, including their concordance with the original text.
What we expect from you
- The ability to analyse and process texts logically, accurately and in accordance with the author's intention
- The ability to translate a wide variety of texts into French and to deliver high-quality target texts under time pressure
- Excellent drafting skills
- A clear and concise style of writing in a wide range of registers
- Broad general knowledge
- Knowledge and experience of using the MS Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and IT translation tools (e.g. SDL Studio and SDL MultiTerm)
- The ability to work under pressure
- The ability to interact effectively with colleagues and authors
Several years' experience of translating in an international organisation plus legal and/or financial knowledge would be an asset.
- Diploma of completed university studies at Master's level or - in exceptional cases - equivalent professional knowledge and experience acquired over many years
- Excellent knowledge of one official language and the ability to understand the other two
- In addition, due to the specific nature of this job profile in the Language Service, native-speaker level in French and a thorough knowledge of the other two official languages
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation
The successful candidate will be selected on the basis of qualifications and experience, supplemented by translation tests, interviews and a personality questionnaire.
It is intended to hold written tests in week 37/38 and interviews in week 40/41, in Munich.
*After deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes.
To foster gender diversity, EPO encourages applications from female candidates.
The EPO is an equal opportunities employer and supports workforce diversity as a signatory to the Diversity Charter (Charta der Vielfalt) since 2010.
All applications for vacant positions will be welcomed and considered on the professional merits of the applicant against the role profile for the position regardless of nationality, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion or belief.
Ref: Dir. 4.4.6 (9023)
Sorry, this job post it's no longer available
- French Data Analyst
€0 - 0
Do you dream of moving abroad and work in an international environment? Do you want to live in beautiful Sofia ? Then this is the right job for you! Role Description C...14 days ago
- French Technical Support Advisor
French Technical Support Advisor Our client is open-minded, sociable and proactive people who are business orientated and have a keen interest in IT. You will be given...14 days ago
- Access Management Analyst
€22000 - 23000
The Company. For one of our clients, an international Shared Service Center based in Barcelona, we are currently recruiting for an Access Management Analyst with a flu...2 months ago
- Access Management Analyst
€22000 - 23000
The Company. For one of our clients, an international Shared Service Center based in Barcelona, we are currently recruiting for an Access Management Analyst with a flu...19 days ago
- Language Data Analyst (German)
Do you dream of moving abroad and work in an international environment? Do you want to live in beautiful Sofia? Then this is the right job for you! Role Description Ca...26 days ago